SPT holds two fundraisers each year, one in the winter that showcases a grand historic Springfield home, and another in the summer that showcases the gardens of a historic property. The events are a chance to socialize with like-minded individuals that appreciate the historic surroundings. These fundraisers help fund SPT’s activities of advocating for historic preservation in Springfield.
The 2014 annual SPT Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, February 8 at 2 PM. The event was hosted by Dolores B. & Deirdre E. Alton at their Colonial Revival style home at 1166 Worthington Street.
The Centennial of 1876 sparked renewed interest in all things colonial – including architecture. This grand Colonial Revival style house was constructed in 1889 for Charles Hosley, owner of a jewelry store on Main Street. The house cost $12,000 to build, excluding plumbing or heating! The architect of record was Guy Kirkham.
The 2014 Garden Party was held at the spectacular home & garden of Ed Zuckerman in the McKnight Historic District. The house was built in 1888 for Dr. Nathan Adams, who died before its completion. His family, however, lived here for nearly forty years. A subsequent owner was James Gill, president of the Peerless Handcuff Company and police commissioner. The house had become a group home prior to its restoration by Ed and his late partner, Bob Kinder in 1986.
The 2014 Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, January 26, at the home of Joseph & Kathleen Pellegrino. Their Atwater Road home was built in 1915 for J.G. Roy at a cost of $8,600. The Arts & Crafts Style home, or “Middle European Country Home” as the original owner called it, was designed by Gardner & Gardner, Springfield’s foremost architectural firm. Gardner & Gardner designed the Worthy Hotel, Technical High School, the Bishop’s Residence on Elliot Street, and many of Springfield’s most prominent buildings of the time. Eugene Gardner was one of the early residences of what was to become Atwater Park and his son George designed more than a dozen homes in the neighborhood.
The 2013 Garden Party Fundraiser was celebrated on Sunday, August 25th, in the Colony Hills section of Forest Park at the beautiful home of Peter & Melissa Picknelly. The Picknelly’s home, situated on a spectacular spot surrounded by Forest Park, was designed in the Tudor Revival style in 1929 by prominent Springfield architect Max Westhoff. Westhoff designed some of Springfield’s grandest homes and public buildings. The event featured live poolside jazz by Premiere Swing, a 50/50 raffle, and a silent auction with fabulous items. Guests dressed in “Great Gatsby” era attire. Proceeds from the event, silent auction and 50/50 raffle benefited the continuing renovation of 77 Maple Street.
The 2013 Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, January 27th, at the home of Stephen & Gayle White. Their Worthington Street home, with its Tudor and Colonial Revival details, was designed by architect G. Wood Taylor, son-in-law to William McKnight, who developed much of the neighborhood with his brother John. Taylor designed houses not only in McKnight but also in Forest Park and Ridgewood. Its first owner was E.M. Coates, a local liquor distributor. Hors d’oeuvres, wine, and nonalcoholic punch was served.
The 2012 Garden Party was held on Sunday, June 24, at the home of John Murray & Carl Standen. Their Longhill Street home was built in 1912 in the Arts & Crafts style and designed by G. Wood Taylor, architect for many fine homes in Forest Park, McKnight, and Ridgewood. The yard and pool, with spectacular views of the Connecticut River Valley, was a wonderful spot to celebrate the beginning of summer! Hors d’oeuvres, wine, and nonalcoholic were served. Many thanks to Premier Entertainment for providing their wonderful music free of charge.
The 2012 Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, January 29, at the home of Jim and Linda Craven in their Sumner Avenue Colonial Revival style home. Hors d’oeuvres, wine, and nonalcoholic punch was served. Proceeds from the event benefited the preservation efforts at 77 Maple Street, Springfield’s oldest remaining school building.
The 2011 Garden Party Fundraiser was held on Sunday, August 21, at the home of David Hall on Glen Road. His fabulous 1899 Shingle Style house has a quarter-acre garden in historic McKnight. Guests enjoyed hors d’oeuvres, wine, and nonalcoholic refreshments. The event benefited the renovation of the historic Female Seminary at 77 Maple Street, one of the oldest buildings remaining in the city.
The 2011 Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, March 6th, at the home of Don Courtemanche on Maple Street. His Victorian Gothic style house was built in 1873 and designed by the noted Boston architectural firm of Ware & Van Brunt and constructed by Chauncey Shepard, one of Springfield’s master builders, at a cost of $25,000. Mrs. Calvin Loomis was its first owner. She soon sold the house to Daniel Wesson, founder of the nationally known gun manufacturing company of Smith & Wesson. The house was subsequently owned by the second and third generations of the Wesson family until the 1930s. Proceeds benefited the continued restoration of 77 Maple Street, Springfield’s oldest school building.
The 2010 Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, January 30th, at the fabulous home of Gary & Donna West at their Colonial Revival mansion on Longhill Street overlooking the Connecticut River. The event was one of the most successful fundraisers SPT has held. Over 130 guests attended and enjoyed a nice evening in a spectacular location. The funds raised from the event went towards the restoration of 77 Maple Street.
The 2009 Winter Fundraiser was held on Sunday, January 24th, at the home of Jim and Merry Boone in the McKnight Historic District. Jim and Merry have lived in McKnight for 32 years and have lovingly restored their 1887, Queen Anne Victorian, to its original beauty. The event was well attended and Jim and Merry graciously opened their entire home for guests to tour.
The 2008 Winter Fundraiser was held at the home of Ed Sims & Paul Kenney. Their 1894 Shingle Style house was built for Lillian, the only daughter of William McKnight. She married G. Wood Taylor, a young Boston architect who may have designed this house. Taylor worked closely with his father-in-law on the development of the Forest Park Heights and Ridgewood areas. Of special interest was the vast collection of Santa figures as well as the lavishly decorated Christmas trees which adorned several rooms in the home.